Sunday, June 1, 2008

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

I can't really imagine Turkish people running in flocks to see a production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Not because it's not an entertaining musical - cuz it is (hey, I have the Donny Osmond recorded soundtrack) - but because of its light religious and cultural references than might not clearly translate to this audience. An Egyptian Pharaoh as Elvis?

On Saturday night we went to see this Andrew Lloyd Webber classic. It was sung in English, which is why my cousin and his friends probably they didn't understand a thing! I did my best trying to translate Joseph's dreams, but to no avail. I only got puzzled looks and blank stares.

During the intermission I heard English being spoken around me. I wondered why. Then I learned (after reading the program) that this was an event held by a British theater arts organization. Apparently there is a large British community living in Turkiye. Wow, didn't know that! I wonder if anyone of them knew Posh Spice.

I asked my cousin how he'd heard about this musical. Turns out, one of his friend's girlfriend was in the musical - her first. And we were all invited to support her efforts. (Later I found out the only reason she joined the cast was to learn more English.) Interesting way to learn a language, in my opinion. Perhaps I should joined the Paris cast of Les Miserables to polish up my French. Oui Oui!

After the show, we did the obligatory "You were great!" kisses and hugs scene. We even posed for a photo with Elvis, himself!

No comments: