Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bagel vs. Simit

In the US, Americans have their bagels. In Turkiye, it's all about the simit - especially the 'street' simit. Same round shape as the bagel, except a little wider, crispier, and with sesame seeds all over it!

You can find a simit vendor just about anywhere on the street - they're virtually on every corner. Some are traveling vendors that walk up and down your neighborhood, yelling SIII-MIIIIIT! and people come out of their apartments to buy them!

They are best in the mornings or right after lunch when they come out of the bakeries hot and fresh!!! And while most Americans couple their bagels with coffee, Turks prefer their simits with tea. Simits are usually found on the breakfast table or as part of the afternoon tea-time.

I think I've averaged about 1 simit per day. They range anywhere between 1 to 0.75YTL - Yeni (new) Turkish Liras, depending on where you buy them (or if you look like a tourist, they vendors might charge you more!).

In fact, mmm... I'm eating a simit right as I'm writing this post. So does that mean I'm blogging with my mouth full?

No comments: