Sunday, June 1, 2008

Karaoke Night at Taksim Square!

Some people join the cast of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat to learn a language, I join karaoke night. LOL. Saturday night (around midnight - after a 10pm dinner) we went to Taksim Square - one of the most popular areas for clubs, bars, restaurants, street vendors and performers. And of course, karaoke!

Because we were a big group of 14 people, we were given our own karaoke room where we got to pick our songs and sing to our heart's content. The group selected a list of old Turkish songs as a way to entertain themselves. (Traditional Turkish songs are known for their telling tales about the pains and agony of unfulfilled love. What can I say? The Turks love drama - it's in their blood.) Of course, I knew none of the songs. NONE. But I could bring on the drama with the best of them!

Although I now know more phrases in Turkish than I did before tonight, don't ask me to sing "you broke my heart into a ka-zillion mini-pieces" and "My love, come back to me, can't you see I'm completely broken without you" in Turkish. My singing makes the only-positive Paula Abdul cringe.

On the other hand, I was enjoying my cousin and his friends dancing and singing till 3 am...

1 comment:

spacekicker said...

Uh oh ... Biray and Karaoke!!!