Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Interesting Thing About Restrooms

Whether it's a restroom inside an apartment, house, restaurant, or theater, the light switch is usually located OUTSIDE the bathroom. Isn't that weird?! I've asked around to find out why, but no one really seems to know.

My theory on this strange design phenomenon is so you won't have to blindly look for the light switch when you enter the restroom - which makes perfect sense since there have been plenty of times I've found myself sliding my hand up and down the wall, searching for the light switch... haven't we all done that at some point?

But I can't help but think of the vulnerable position you are putting yourself in while attending the restroom. The idea of letting the power of the light switch rest in the hands of the people in the hallway just seems very unsettling.

Lights out. Flush.

2 comments:

spacekicker said...

Turkish people must be more trusting. I'd be turning it off on everyone!!

Dr. Cooper said...

My house in Phoenix, rental property now, has the switch outside the door of the master bathroom. Drove me crazy for about 6 months. Then I got used to it. Good thing I lived alone there because spacekicker is right, I'd probably be turning it on and off of people. :-)