Saturday, June 21, 2008

Quasi-Wedding Crashers!

I will probably never be able to crash a wedding in the same fashion as Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson in the Wedding Crashers, but Friday night I found myself quasi-crashing a wedding I was unofficially invited to.

Let me 'splain. No there is too much - let me sum up.
My aunt was invited to the wedding reception for the daughter of an old elementary school friend (who she's known for over 40 years - can you believe that!?) Somehow my aunt managed to get my mom an invite (sisters have to do everything together, I guess). And since my mom didn't want to be third-wheel to my aunt/uncle, my dad was also was included on the guest list.

When they heard the bride was my age and the couple lived in the states, they assumed there would be guests from America and figured I might enjoy myself if I came. (Gee, how thoughtful - considering weddings tend to be quite awkward and uncomfortable when the only people you know are your parents, aunt/uncle). So despite my pleading and "Oh, don't even think about it" looks, I was thrown into the plans, too.

Of course this all had the potential of being somewhat bearable had I known of these plans much earlier in advance (I could have had time to warm up to the idea). This all went down Thursday morning, less than 24 hours before the reception which meant I also had no formal attire. (C'mon, I'm on vacation, here! I'm all about the flip flops, shorts, and tees!) So Thursday afternoon I scrambled around to buy a dress and put together a last minute outfit.

To make matters more interesting, my aunt/uncle didn't even show up at the wedding (due to circumstances 'out of their control')! So there I was on a Friday night, me at one table with some folks from Amsterdam (of all places), my parents on the other side of the room. I didn’t know anyone, nor speak any Dutch. Wearing a dress that looked more like something Sarah Jessica Parker could pull off in an episode of Sex and the City, wondering how I ended up here...

Given the variables of the evening, I did what any respectable unofficially invited guest would do...

A toast to the bride and groom - hoppa!

... I danced all night!

2 comments:

spacekicker said...

OHHH you look marvelous!!!! You are having so much fun, I'm jealous!

The Fam said...

You look awesome! Go girl!